The Trinidad and Tobago Chamber of Industry and Commerce (T&T Chamber) will proudly host the 2019 Champions of Business Awards Ceremony & Cocktail Reception on November 15th, 2019 at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA).
This is the T&T Chamber’s final Signature Event of the year. It is attended loyally by business owners, C-Suite executives and other A-listers year-after-year. The audience is also ‘peppered’ with a growing number of SMEs and driven entrepreneurs.
CHAMPIONS OF BUSINESS IS THE PLACE TO BE:
If you are serious about growing your business this is undoubtedly THE business networking event of the season to connect with the right people.
There have been many stories about small business owners and start-ups in attendance having their first meaningful conversation with the heads of companies or key decision-makers at Champions of Business events. These initial contacts have led to deeper relationships being formed that have helped to catapult many towards realising their business visions faster and better. You might just find an investor, a new partner, a solutions provider or a professional friend for life. This is where you need to be!
In the words of Dr. Ivan Misner, founder of Business Networking International (BNI), “If you are not networking, you are not working”.
HOW TO ATTEND:
Call the T&T Chamber’s Events Unit at (868) 637-6966 extension 1308 (Alison) to book now.
ABOUT THE AWARDS CEREMONY:
The awards ceremony segment of the Champions of Business (CoB) event is a formal affair, that recognises excellence in business. Outstanding individuals and companies are acknowledged for their contribution to nation-building, for inspiring leadership and building legacy companies. At CoB we also celebrate the spirit of entrepreneurship, the achievements of local companies that have succeeded in expanding their local operations overseas and finally we give acclaim to the game-changers who have developed new technological solutions or are using technology as a means to positively disrupt their business sectors.
Awards in 4 categories will be conferred this year. These are,
EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™
This is one of the most exciting categories as groups of extraordinary entrepreneurs will be recognised for their tenacity and spirit towards becoming extraordinary business owners. Each year EY conveys their stories and journeys in a compelling and emotional way through video profiles. This year profiles will also cover the persons and events that inspired the creation of their companies and how these important connections helped them get to the point of success that they have acheived today.
Two awards will be presented in this category for Start-up Entrepreneur and Emerging Entrepreneur.These awards are directly linked to EY’s global Entrepreneur of the Year awards.
The winners in each category will be selected from among the finalists listed below, and announced on the night of the Awards.
Nominees: EY Entrepreneur of Year™ – Start Up
- Sophia Stone and Stacy Seeterram, Co-Founders – Caribbean Cure Limited – Caribbean Cure Limited (Caribbean Cure) is a female-owned tea manufacturing company that focuses on loose leaf teas. Sophia Stone and Stacy Seeterram wanted to create not only healthy but delicious and functional teas. No additives or chemical fragrances are used in the company’s teas. Caribbean Cure has five blends of loose-leaf teas on the local market. The company recently entered into a joint venture with a company in Japan to launch Caribbean Cure in the Asian market. It is also finalizing two co-packing partnerships which would result in the teas being manufactured in Europe and North America, with raw materials from the Caribbean. Caribbean Cure has won several awards for its products.
- Christopher Boodoosingh, Chief Executive Officer – Cocoa Republic Limited – Cocoa Republic Limited (Cocoa Republic) is a chocolate manufacturing company. It uses high quality Trinitario cocoa grown in Trinidad as its foundation. Christopher Boodoosingh founded Cocoa Republic with one vision – to be the best chocolate maker in the world. The company has three bars on the market which are available at retail stores and online, including on Amazon. Its latest products include , a vegan milk chocolate bar , Hazelo – a vegan substitute for Nutella made with Trinitario cocoa and a Vegan Ice Cream made from cocoa beans. The company provides chocolate to a high-end distributor that supplies many Michelin Star restaurants in New York city. The company also secured an exclusive supply contract with a producer in Germany which will provide opportunities to export to other European markets. Cocoa Republic has won several awards for its products.
- Faariah Khan and Kevin Singh, Co-Founders – Green Age Farms Limited – Green Age Farms Limited (GAF) designs and supplies fully automated hydroponic systems. The company also provides training in the installation and operation of these systems as well as one-on-one after sales service. Faariah Khan and Kevin Singh started the company to promote and provide a sustainable and resource efficient method of non-traditional agriculture in Trinidad and Tobago. GAF offers solutions for both commercial and personal use, striving to use professionally manufactured, high quality components. The company is the exclusive local distributors for the Mr. Stacky Vertical systems and Springpots Fabric Grow Bags which are used in the systems sold by GAF.
- Matthew Moses and Andrew Laquis, Co-Founders – Shyft Investments Limited – Shyft Investments Limited is a technology company that owns and manages an insurance comparison and placement website (Shyft.tt). The website allows customers to instantly compare and obtain quotes for motor insurance from multiple insurers as well as purchase their policy online. Matthew Moses and Andrew Laquis could not understand why buying insurance was such a tedious process. So, they set out to change the narrative by focusing on the customer. Shyft.tt provides comparative features, explanations and customer reviews to facilitate better financial decisions about buying motor insurance.
Nominees: EY Entrepreneur of Year™ – Emerging
- Hesma Tyson, Founder/Managing Director – Caribbean Specialty Foods Co. Limited – Caribbean Specialty Foods Co. Limited (Caribbean Specialty) manufactures hot sauces, dips and seasoning. The company’s products are marketed under the registered brand CariBelle Foods. After becoming a vegetarian, Hesma Tyson was motivated to produce natural products. Caribbean Specialty has nine products on the local market – its hot sauce flavours include: Rum Flavoured, Tamarind, Mango, Ooh La and Celery. The company’s dips include: Tamarind and Mango, Lime and Mango, Tomato and Cilantro. The Exotic Seasoning boasts of ten herbs. All products are without artificial colours, preservatives or flavours.
- Stefan Grosberg, Founder/Managing Director – Del Mano Food Limited – Del Mano Food Limited (Del Mano) manufactures a range of high quality sausages. Stefan Grosberg, always had a passion for food, especially meat. The company began making pesto and then moved into sausage production. Stefan wanted to offer a healthier option – sausage that was handcrafted with premium cuts of meat. With an arsenal of fresh herbs sourced from local farmers and unique blends, Del Mano offers a range of sausages made from pork, beef, lamb, chicken and goat. The company is embarking on the next phase of development which would involve construction of a new factory fit for export, increased local distribution and product re-branding.
- Kasey Phillips, Chief Executive Officer – Precision Global Music Limited – Precision Global Music Limited (Precision) is a music production company. Kasey Phillips started his career as a sound engineer and music producer but soon realized he wanted to be more than a producer. After an internship in the United States, Kasey returned and introduced the ‘international songwriter model’ into his business. Precision then moved from only producing music for artists to owning the music they produced. This was a game changer. Today, the company’s resume reads as a who’s who in the local, regional, and international musical arenas. From Grammy award winners to celebrated regional artists, to R&B superstars, the company’s experience spans the Caribbean and United States. In addition, Precision has won several prestigious local, regional, and international awards.
- Jennifer Ramoutar-Goberdhan, Founder – Jennifer Goberdhan Signature Weddings – Jennifer Goberdhan Signature Weddings is a full-service wedding planning, design and production company. The company services national as well as international inbound destination wedding clients. It provides design and full production, florals, wedding coordination and bridal and engagement photo shoots. The company also offers courses in floral design, advanced tablescapes, wedding business seminars, Christmas workshops and bridal bouquets. After a successful teaching career spanning 30 years, Jennifer felt it was time to pursue her passion. She has worked with icons in the wedding design and planning industry over the years. Jennifer Goberdhan Signature Weddings has been featured in multiple international publications and blogs and Jennifer has received several accolades internationally for her work since the official launch of her business.
BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY AWARD, sponsored by bmobile, PLATINUM SPONSOR
The role of technology in modern business is indisputable. A large percentage of new businesses entering the market each year are now either technology-based or heavily technology-supported. The T&T Chamber will connect the dots between enterprise and technology by shortlisting three exceptional companies / individuals whose business concepts or business solutions exemplify innovation and uniqueness, transforming or disrupting their industry in a significant way.
Three finalists have been identified as follows:
- Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL). CAL is utilised technology as the medium to deliver their new customer experience strategy which includes an improved website, a mobile application, content delivery in-flight and payment portals.
- Term Finance (Holdings) Limited. This is the Caribbean’s first completely web-based credit institution, offering loans and financial wellness training to employees or reputable organisations across Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica and St. Lucia., Whilst the company is registered in various markets, all loan processing and customer service is handled by the Trinidad-based lending team, solely through digital channels.
- Vibrant Technologies Limited. This company offers a unique and local brand of ICT Project Management and Integrated ICT Services to several corporate clients throughout the region and even in North America. It offers solutions that ensures the fastest possible delivery and ROI.
One of these finalists will be selected to receive the Business Technology award. This recipient will be announced on the night of the Awards. The sponsor for this category, bmobile, will also provide the award recipient with a customized business support package to the value of TT$10,000.
INTERNATIONALLY KNOWN…T&T OWNED COMPANY OF YEAR AWARD, sponsored by First Citizens (PLATINUM SPONSOR)
One company will be officially commended for its achievements in taking incredible steps to move their business from a local operation to an International player. The T&T Chamber along with the category sponsor, First Citizens, will chronicle this company’s journey through video story-telling, inspiring others to reach higher and further. We will also recognise the invaluable connections, whether people, companies or other types of organisations that helped enable them to grow into global brands.
The award for the 2019 Internationally Known…T&T Owned Company of the Year will be conferred on:
Associated Brands Industries Limited (ABIL). ABIL is a manufacturer and distributor of snack foods, chocolate confectionery, biscuits and breakfast cereals and also distributes a wide range of products. Key export markets include Jamaica, Barbados, St. Lucia and Dominican Republic. It also exports to over 20 countries worldwide, reaching as far as Taiwan and Ireland.
THE BUSINESS HALL OF FAME INDUCTION, sponsored by Guardian Life of The Caribbean Limited, PLATINUM SPONSOR
Two outstanding individuals have been chosen to be inducted into the T&T Chamber’s Business Hall of Fame this year, Osmond “Ossie” Carlyle Hale (Posthumous) and Sieunarine Persad Coosal.
- Osmand “Ossie” Hale was perhaps best known for his unstinting service to Hand Arnold (Trinidad) Limited, which he joined in 1946 and remained until his retirement in 1984, and thereafter as Chairman until his death in 1994. He also held leadership roles in organisations like the T&T Chamber the Jaycees Royal Bank of Trinidad and Tobago and British American Insurance Company.
- Sieunarine Coosal was recruited by his older brother Ajodha to assist him with quarrying operations at age 16. From this basic starting point, Sieunarine rose to eventually lead this company. Facing many adversities in his life, including bankruptcy and receivership his tenacity and drive ensured that he rose each time to overcome them.
These persons exemplify business excellence – in commercial prowess, leadership and in national-social responsibility.
At the ceremony we will narrate their stories, showing the paths they took to reach the heights of success they achieved, both professionally and personally. This inspirational journey is always an emotional one by virtue of the number of people, companies and organisations that these Hall of Famers have touched and connected with meaningfully with over their careers and lives.
They will join the 33 outstanding persons already inducted into the T&T Chamber’s Business Hall of Fame, since inception in 2005.
The 2019 recipients will be formally inducted on the night of the Champions of Business Awards.
THE COCKTAIL RECEPTION:
After the formal awards ceremony we invite our guests to stay on with us at the cocktail reception. Here, they can mingle and chat in a relaxed social atmosphere, where first introductions often develop into deeper business relationships after. While there, they also enjoy our hospitality from the bar and buffet. Our sponsors also exhibit at the event, many with interactive activation stations designed to engage guests, such as luxury vehicle displays and opportunities to win prizes. This year, Guardian Life of the Caribbean Limited, our sponsor for the Business Hall of Fame, will execute a special networking challenge for guests. On their departure, guests will receive swag bags with items they will certainly appreciate.
The Trinidad and Tobago Chamber of Industry and Commerce thanks all sponsors of the 2019 Champions of Business Awards and Business Networking event:- Platinum: Guardian Life of The Caribbean Limited, First Citizens, EY and bmobile; Gold: Trinidad and Tobago Unit Trust Corporation; Bronze: Southern Sales and Service Company Limited and The Trinidad and Tobago Stock Exchange Limited; and Media partners: One Caribbean Media Limited and Music Radio 97.1 FM.
We look forward to hosting you at THE business networking event of the year,
“Where companies connect and lifetime relationships are forged”!