A Certificate of Origin (CoO) is a signed statement as to the country of origin of the exported products for a particular shipment. This document is required by foreign governments, declaring that goods in a particular international shipment are of a certain origin. Certificates of Origin can also be used to satisfy the buyers that the products exported are wholly obtained, produced or manufactured in a certain country. Customs offices will use this document to determine whether or not a preferential duty rate applies on the products being imported and whether a shipment may be legally imported during a specific quota period.
In Trinidad, exporTT (formerly Business Development Company), Customs and Excise Division and the Trinidad and Tobago Chamber of Industry and Commerce (TTCIC) are the only bodies authorized to sign and issue Certificates of Origin.
- Ministry of Finance Customs and Excise Division – issues preferential Certificates of Origin for goods to be exported to Europe, some parts of USA and “CARIBCAN” Agreement countries
- exporTT – issues preferential Certificates of Origin to countries in CARICOM (excluding Haiti & Bahamas) and countries with whom Trinidad and Tobago has a Free Trade Agreement.
- TTCIC – issues non-preferential Certificates of Origin for goods that do not fall under established Free Trade Agreements.
As of January 2012, all companies seeking Certificates of Origin must have a registered account with TTbizlink before requesting certification. For further information on registering your business on TTBizLink please click on the following logo:
TTCIC processing fees are as follows:
- Verification Fee (a one-time fee upon registration) – TT$600 + VAT
- Certificate of Origin submitted via TTBizLink:
Chamber Members: TT$125 per CoO
Potential Members: TT$150 per CoO
- Certificate of Origin submitted manually (effective 1st September, 2013):
Chamber Members: TT$225 per CoO
Potential Members: TT$300 per CoO
For further information please contact:
Ms. Rianna E. Paul Trade and Research EconomistTrade and Business Development Unit
(868) 637-6966 Ext. 1288