A Certificate of Origin (CoO) is a signed statement as to the country of origin of the exported products for a particular shipment. This document is required by foreign governments, declaring that goods in a particular international shipment are of a certain origin. Certificates of Origin can also be used to satisfy the buyers that the products exported are wholly obtained, produced or manufactured in a certain country. Customs officers will use this document to determine whether or not a preferential duty rate applies on the products being imported and whether a shipment may be legally imported during a specific quota period.
In Trinidad and Tobago, exporTT, Customs and Excise Division of the Ministry of Finance and the Trinidad and Tobago Chamber of Industry and Commerce (T&T Chamber) are the only three bodies authorized to issue Certificates of Origin.
- Customs and Excise Division – issues preferential Certificates of Origin for goods to be exported to Europe and USA.
- exporTT – issues preferential Certificates of Origin for goods exported to CARICOM (excluding Haiti & Bahamas) and countries with whom Trinidad and Tobago has a Free Trade Agreement.
- T& T Chamber – issues non-preferential Certificates of Origin for goods that do not fall under established Free Trade Agreements.
All companies seeking Certificates of Origin must have a registered account with TTBizlink before requesting certification. For further information on registering your business on TTBizLink please click visit: www.ttbizlink.gov.tt or call 800-4SEW or 800-4739.
The T&T Chamber’s is issuing COOs electronically – once approved, your COO will be emailed to your designated contact(s). Payments can be made via bank transfer or at the T&T Chamber Building via cash, cheque, Debit or Credit Card.
Processing fees are as follows:
- Verification Fee (a one-time fee upon registration) – TT$600 + VAT
This entails a site visit by the T&T Chamber to your factory in order to observe the manufacturing process to satisfy the requirement that the finished product that you will be exported is being manufactured in T&T.
- Certificate of Origin submitted via TTBizLink:
Chamber Members: TT$125 per CoO
Potential Members: TT$150 per CoO
- Export documents that need to be attested by the T&T Chamber or manual Certificates of Origin:
Chamber Members: TT$225 per CoO
Potential Members: TT$300 per CoO
For further information please contact:
Ms. Rianna E. Paul Manager – Trade and Business Development Unit
Ms. Leeooi Edmund Trade Analyst – Trade and Business Development Unit